from the kitchen of girlichef
yield: ~1 pint
- 2 lbs. apples, peeled, cored & quartered
- ½ tsp. pure vanilla (or ½ of a vanilla bean)
- 1/4 c. brown sugar
- big pinch ground cinnamon
- good grating of nutmeg
- small pinch of ground cloves
- few pieces of crystallized ginger
- 1 whole star anise
- big pinch sea salt
- Place the apples and the vanilla in a crockpot (this amount fits in a small 2 qt. pot), cover and cook on low for 4½ hrs.
- Lift lid and smash the apples up a bit with a fork or spoon. Add all of the seasonings. Replace lid and cook on high for another 4 hours or so…until dark and thick.
- Remove the star anise, the blend it all up with an immersion blender or in a stand up blender (carefully…it’s hot!!) to get a smooth butter.
- Store in a sealed jar in the fridge.