from the kitchen of girlichef
Yield: 2 loaves
2 c. warm water
1 Tbs. active dry yeast
1/3 c. Marigold honey
3 c. white whole wheat flour
1 tsp. salt
6 Tbs. melted butter, at room temp or just barely warm
3 ½ c. bread flour + a little extra
- ½ Tbs. butter, melted for brushing on top of loaf after baking (optional)
- Dissolve the yeast in the warm water. Using a wooden spoon, add honey and mix well.
- Stir in the whole wheat flour, salt, and butter.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface, and knead for 10 minutes, or until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Form into a ball.
- Lightly oil a large bowl and place dough in, turning once to get a thin coat of oil all around.
- Cover with plastic wrap and set aside until doubled in size, 1 hour.
- Punch down the dough, then turn out of the bowl.
- Cut in half, and place in two greased loaf pans.
- Allow to rise again until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 375° F and bake for 30-35 mins., or until golden and fragrant.
- Immediately after you remove from the pans (while still warm), brush the tops with some melted butter, if using.
- Allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes before transferring to wire rack to finish cooling.