From Recipe Taster
- 200g whole peeled almonds;
- 2tsps sugar (optional and to taste);
- 1/4tsps almond extract or few bitter almonds;
- 2tsps lemon juice;
- Water as needed.
- Place the white almonds in the glass of a blender and add enough warm water to cover the nuts.
- Start blending adding extra water if needed.
- Using fine cheesecloth or a cotton handkerchief; strain the almond milk in a saucepan.
- Add the almond extract and sugar to taste.
- Warm up the milk till almost boiling.
- Add then the 2 tsps of lemon juice stirring slightly.
- Leave it undisturbed to curdle for 20 minutes.
- Line a sieve with some cheesecloth, place it over a bowl and pour the curdled almond milk into the strainer.
- Let some of the almond whey to drain before folding the cheesecloth over the draining tofu.
- Press with TofuXpress.
- Let drain it this way overnight in the fridge.
*This amount of lemon juice will produce a custard like delicious almond tofu, if you wish it to have a harder consistency raise its amount.