This recipe comes with a little side story. The majority of my recipes that I create personally are often born out of a hodge podge of items I happen to have around the kitchen and a creative streak about a mile wide. This recipe was also born out of such a circumstance. The other night we had a few friends over for a full moon gathering. Snacks were brought, including a large tub of hummus with garlic! Yum! We enjoyed our festivities and parted ways. The following day I realized we had quite a lot of hummus left. More than I we eat in an average week and I hate for it to go bad. So I thought I’d figure out a way to use it. Sitting right next to the tub was a jar of my recently dehydrated cherry tomatoes in olive oil. An idea started forming…here’s what the end result was
Chicken Hummus Wraps (with Vegan alternatives)
- 2 Chicken Breasts (chicken flavored seitan or tofu marinated in vegan chicken broth)
- 1/2 Dried Tomatoes
- 4 Tortillas or Pita bread
- Cheese (vegan versions if desired): I created this with cheddar but am sure feta might also be a good choice for this dish
- 1 TBSP Minced Garlic
- 1 TBSP Olive Oil
- Cut 2 chicken breasts (or substitute) into small pieces.
- Warm up 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet or frying pan.
- Add 1 tablespoon minced garlic to the pan.
- Add chicken to the pan.
- Add 1/2 cup tomatoes.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon of hummus.
- Cook chicken until cooked thoroughly.
- Warm up pita/tortillas for ten seconds in the microwave.
- Spread a generous helping of hummus on the warmed pita/tortilla.
- Add grated cheese (approx. 1/4 cup per wrap).
- Add chicken mixture to the wrap.
- Fold and serve.